August, Part 2 - Royal Oak, MI

Monday, August 11. "Royal Oak"

Back in Detroit, once again. I'm here, visiting my good friends, Tom and Jen Vesbit for a few days before I bus it to my parents' place in Grand Rapids. Took a real nice walk today, a mile or two into downtown Royal Oak. Beautiful day outside... and it's been awhile since I could say that. The last 3 days in Maine were non-stop rain(until the sun broke through on the morning I left. So it goes.)

It took three flights to get me from Portland, ME to Detroit, MI. Stopped in Baltimore and Atlanta... I guess the scenic route to Michigan. Pretty easy travel day, until the end when the airline lost my guitar. Not really a pain, though. They'll deliver it to Tempe and I won't have to lug it around. Besides, it served its purpose, which was a week of play in Maine. Ben and I had a couple real nice days of live music with on the dock, and then in his uncle's amazing cabin, "The Cove" when the rain wouldn't stop. I just hope the guitar makes the trip safely.

Yesterday, Tom, Jen, and I went to a little jazz spot for breakfast. Great food with a VERY solid trio, jamming out on the back patio. Bass, Cajon (box drum), and amazing acoustic guitar. Thought we'd have a nice day, but the weather quickly turned cold and rainy. Jen went home to study, and Tom and I headed to nearby Birmingham to catch a flick: "Pineapple Express". Ridiculously funny, and that makes 4 good movies in a row for me: "Batman", "Wall-E", "Step Brothers", and now "Pineapple". When's the last time I could say "4 good movies in a row"???? (Let alone ONE!?)

After the movie, we headed back home to cook up some dinner. Fantastic kabobs off the grill with cous-cous and hummus, followed up with our fancy "medleys of berry". Watched some TV ( it had been a long time... no TV in Maine), and rolled into bed about midnight. And here I am, enjoying some tea after a damn fine sushi lunch and a walk around Royal Oak.


No comments: